WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- A fire that started in a barbecue grill on the rear deck gutted the Washington Township home of a recent widower Thursday afternoon, authorities said.
The Howard Street homeowner got out OK, although a firefighter had to be treated for heat exhaustion, Washington Township Police Chief Glenn Hooper told Daily Voice.
The four-alarm blaze broke out around 2:30 p.m. and quickly spread through the house. It was extinguished in just under an hour.
Responding companies included Emerson, HIllsdale, Oradell, Woodcliff Lake and the township Ladies Auxiliary. Ho-Ho-Kus and Westwood firefighters and the township ambulance squad remained on standby.
CHECK BACK FOR MORE DETAILS
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.