YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST: A passerby who banged on a Hillsdale family’s door after seeing their chimney on fire and five companies who rushed to the scene late this afternoon kept the blaze from spreading through the house.
The Pascack Road fire was fully extinguished less than an hour and a half after the 5:20 p.m. call came in, Hillsdale Fire Chief Jason Durie told CLIFFVIEW PILOT .
“The was minor damage to the interior of the house — mostly smoke damage,” he said. “The house is habitable.
“It was a good quick stop.”
Durie said there was an apparently breach between the chimney and outside wall of the house, causing the fire.
At the same time, he said it was important for people to remember to clean their chimneys, especially with temperatures expected to dip into the mid-50s and at or near freezing in North Jersey beginning Thursday.
Assisting Hillsdale firefighters were their colleagues from Park Ridge, Washington Township, Westwood and Woodcliff Lake.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.