ANOTHER CLIFFVIEW PILOT SCOOP: Pascack Valley High School’s football team had just trounced West Milford when the area was evacuated due to an ongoing gas leak.
The danger was relatively low, given that it was a breezy night. But no one was taking any chances after the 8:45 p.m. call.
“They could smell the gas really strong from the church parking lot” across Piermont Road from the Hillsdale School, one parent said of the players, cheerleaders and color guard, one parent said.
“It’s been on ongoing problem for at least a month,” a Hillsdale firefighter told CLIFFVIEW PILOT . “PSE&G is aware of the problem.”
The football players had just finished a 42-0 victory when fire alarms sounded at the school, due to a gas leak in the street.
Coaches and other instructors told the remaining youngsters to grab what they could and move. School officials then moved all of them across the street to the parking lot of Pascack Bible Church.
Others went to the Meadowbrook School to wait for their parents to pick them up.
Piermont Road was blocked off as emergency responders came in.
A half hour or so later, the youngsters were allowed back into the school.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.