YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: Hillsdale firefighters quickly extinguished an early-morning blaze on the rear deck and back of a two-family house after a citizen who saw smoke alerted a passing police sergeant.
“The fire got knocked down right away. It didn’t make its way into the interior of the house,” Hillsdale Fire Chief Jason Durie told CLIFFVIEW PILOT this morning.
“It looks like [the cause] may have been a cigarette that wasn’t out when it was discarded,” Durie said. “It’s definitely accidental.”
Hillsdale Police Sgt. Dan McLaughlin was stopped on Broadway by a passerby who pointed to smoke coming from 61 Park Avenue around 6:15 this morning. A mattress on the rear deck had caught fire, Durie said.
In minutes, Hillsdale firefighters were joined by their colleagues from Westwood, Woodcliff Lake and Park Ridge, Durie said.
The blaze was brought under control in under a half-hour and the residents of the building were able to return soon after, the chief said.
“There’s going to be a bit of smoke smell for awhile,” he said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.