DV Home Cooking is devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook: Jo Ann DiGiacomo, Montvale, N.J.
"Growing up I used to cook a lot with my grandfather. This is where I get my love of cooking. Baking is one of my favorites! The only thing is that a lot of baked goods are high in fat and calories. I work to 'healthify' some of our favorite recipes. A lot of my healthier recipe versions are featured on a Facebook page I run called Healthy New You-recipes with a healthy twis t.
This recipe brings back fond memories of baking with my grandfather. He used to love raisin scones; so we made these quite often. This version cuts down on the fat and calories mainly by substituting most of the butter with Greek yogurt. I hope everyone loves these as much as I do!"
Recipe: Healthy Fruit Scones
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup raisins or any of your favorite fresh or frozen fruits
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan just melt and cool the butter, or use softened butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combined Greek yogurt, vanilla, butter, and egg white. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just moist. Mixture should be crumbly. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 8 times with your hands. Dough will begin to come together. Form dough into a 6-8 inch circle and place on baking sheet or parchment paper coated with cooking spray.
- Cut into six wedges and barely separate.To make the topping, combine sugar and cinnamon. Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray then sprinkle the top of the dough with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top of the scones are lightly golden brown.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.